Saturday, September 12, 2015

Summer to Fall Transition 2015

With the equinox and the first official day of fall just around the corner, it's time to start thinking about swapping out that large slushi for a venti pumpkin spice latte. Fall is a time where my soul blossoms. To me, fall means deeply saturated colors, crisp and pleasant weather, baking, getting warm and cozy at home, and most importantly, spending more time with my loved ones. But here in the South, September still feels an awful lot like summer. Thankfully, there are a few products we can start swapping out to get us in the fall spirit without looking too much like this...



You can visit my Pinterest board here to view and purchase all the products I am about to mention.

Summer to Fall Transition 2015
  • CC/BB Cream to Foundation: No one wants to look too made up during the summer. A lot of girls I know opt for a more natural (and less sweaty) look by going for a BB or CC cream. But as fall rolls in, a more full coverage look is probably more appropriate. A favorite of mine that will give you full coverage without looking cakey is Laura Geller's Baked Liquid Radiance Foundation. 
  • Bronze Glow to Subtle Contour: While a shimmery bronzer can give you a healthy glow in the summer, it's time to start thinking about swapping it out for a more natural and chic look. Look for a more "muddy" as opposed to bronze color when searching for the perfect contour color in your skin range. We want to create shadows because hollows recede, so try to stay away anything that is a bit too golden. Smashbox Cosmetics sells a great contour kit that you can find at both Ulta and Sephora. 
  • Smoky Eye to Sharp Cat Eye: Something about a matte black cat eye paired with an oversized cable knit sweater just SCREAMS chic and fall to me. Two of my favorite liners are the Tarte Amazonian Clay Pot Waterproof Liner in Black and the Kat Von D Tattoo Liner in Trooper. 
  • Bright Glosses to Dark and Vampy Mattes: While a bright pink gloss might be great for the beach, swapping out your brightest colors for some dark and vampy matte lipsticks is a great way to begin to bring the colors of fall into your makeup routine. If you don't know where to begin, NARS Cosmetics sells an amazing range of vampy shades in their Audacious Lipsticks collection. Go on over to sephora.com by following the link in my Pinterest board to find the best shade for you. My favorite is a dark and sultry plum/red called Charlotte. Just don't think you can rock a dark lip? Opt for the perfect mauve neutral. Syrup by MAC definitely fits the bill as my favorite Your-Lips-But-Better color for the fall. 
  • On the Nails -- Bright Pastels to Marsala Reds, Muddy Lilacs, and Subtle Taupes: Looking down at your nails and seeing some fall shades is one of the easiest ways to take your beauty routine from bright and girly to laid-back and chic. While I love my pastel lilacs and mint greens in the summer, a few of my favorite fall transition colors are Seduce Me by China Glaze (a super shiny red/plum), Don't Sweater It by Essie (a taupe-y nude), and Warm and Toasty Turtleneck by Essie (my favorite muddy lilac). If you want something a bit sexier, Bear Hug by China Glaze is the perfect So-Dark-It's-Almost-Black red/marsala color. 
  • Fragrance -- Summery Melons to Crisp Fall Must-Haves: September is the perfect time to start transitioning your fragrances. While juicy melon and coconut scents are perfect for being refreshed in the summer, now is a great time to start incorporating the scents of the fruits of the season. I LOVE apple scents this time of year. Something about it reminds me of back to school and crisp mornings. Being the Bath and Body Works addict I am, I just picked up their Fall Traditions collection of body care, and one of my favorite scents from the range is Suncrisp Apple Harvest. With notes of "Suncrisp Apple, Orchard Leaves, Harvest Lemon, Apple Blossom, and Jasmine Woods," it is a scent that immediately transports me to fall. If you're not a fan of apple, their Plum Cider Warmth scent is to die for, as well. 
  • Tanks and Tees to Sweater Shirts: As I said before, September is still one of the hottest months of the year here in the South. It's not practical for us to believe we'll be able to pull out our favorite sweaters for another month or so. So if you still want to feel comfy and cozy-yet-breathable, a sweater shirt is the perfect way to start transitioning your wardrobe to fall while feeling laid-back and cool. LOFT has some adorable sweater shirts on sale right now, so be sure to check out their website. 
  • Straw Sun Hats to Faux-Suede Panama Hats: A hat is a perfect way to start adding some fall warmth to your wardrobe without actually making yourself too warm. A faux-suede, wide brimmed hat is an easy way to make your outfit feel chic and fashion forward. I've found some of my favorites at PacSun. 
What are some of your favorite ways to transition from summer to fall? What are some of your favorite things about the fall season? Leave me a comment below and be sure to ask me if you have any questions about the products listed above. Until next time, I'll still be getting my pumpkin spice lattes even though it's 85 degrees outside! 

xoxo Kaley 

No comments:

Post a Comment